The Nature of Liberal Arts Education in the Present
Like every great idea, Liberal Education has withstood the test of time. Yet, it has not done so without remaining open to continual re-interpretation by those who see its value from within and without. In conversation with politics, technology, society, the economy and educational systems, a Liberal Education has taken on new shapes and meanings. In today’s world of tomorrow — a world concerned with accelerated change in all these fields, where it becomes increasingly urgent that our discourse considers the long-run sustainability of human activity and our current ways of life — the question of Liberal Education remains as relevant as ever.
LESC 2020 topics:
1. Cultural Heritage and Liberal Arts Education (How does liberal education influence the representation of cultural heritage? What are the mechanisms to establish interaction and assistance in developing the cultural heritage of the conflicting parties?)
2. Humanities in the Age of Technologies (How to avoid the loss of meaning through digitalization of texts? Does the humanities face the threat of extinction due to the rapid development of technology?)
3. Transforming Liberal Arts Education through Civic Engagement (How does liberal education contribute to the development of civil initiatives? What strategy of civic initiative should be in order to attract all kinds of resources for its implementation? )
4. The International Framework for Combating Climate Change (What methods and tools do you see to improve the climate situation in your region? How can public involvement contribute into solving climate change problems? Political weapons / public initiative: how does the interaction of these two phenomena affect the solution of climate problems?)
5. Liberal arts in current political environment (In what ways, in the context of liberal education, is it possible to resolve current political conflicts in the European Region? Is liberal education able to influence / change the existing political situation? West & East: what are the challenges in adopting the Liberal Arts Education model around Europe? What social problems do students face when forming their political views and attitudes while studying at educational institutions?)
6. Performative nature of Liberal Arts Education (What is the connection between modern system of education and arts? )
LESC 2020 will focus on the questions:
- How do the spheres of politics, technology, cultural heritage and climate change are interconnected with Liberal Education?
- How and in what way(s) does civic engagement develop the concept of Liberal Education? What is the place of arts in the concept of Liberal Education?
- What is the concept of Liberal Education in accordance with modern changes in the society?
Joint contributions, be they academic or artistic in nature, are also welcome. Please specify on your proposal if you plan on such a contribution along with the names of those who will partake in the collaboration.
- The submission of an academic written contribution or a non-academic artwork addressing one of the major motivating questions of the conference and illustrating the interconnections of Liberal Educations with 6 key topics is required for participation in LESC 2020.
- Proposals must contain 500 words maximum.
- Important to mention whether your final contributions will be academic or non-academic paper. Also, if you present joint paper, write the names of all the authors in the proposals.
- For those, who decide to present academic papers, it is required to mention the list of sources for the contributions.
- The deadline for proposals is 10th February 2020 at 23:59 CET. We will start informing participants about their status since the 14th February.
- UPDATE: the deadline is extended till the 28th February!
- IMPORTANT! Accepted applicants will have until the 10th March to confirm their attendance and transfer the application fee to the university!
- Final contributions must be submitted before the 20th April.
- Final contribution papers should be between 1500-3000 words (excluding the cover page and reference list)
- You can submit your proposal and your contribution by emailing the documents in pdf format to firstname.lastname@example.org
- The most competitive papers will be compiled in an eBook and published after the conference comes to a close
Please see practical information for costs.
We are looking forward to your contributions and to meeting you in Vilnius. Best regards,
The LESC 2020 Organisational Team